Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Form From the Conforms

Hello All! These are pictures from the second installment in my Temporary Sculpture Series. This is my second video (JUNK2). I tried to add more visual interest with the change in setting and addition of mirrors. She is still a work in progress as I am still refining my technique for capturing my performance.












This is a poem I wrote about my sculptures:

Stacked upon each back but not attached.
Packed tight.
Lifeless spike holding on for dear life.
For all that you held down you must now hold yourself up.
And all that cannot be held up will fall by the wayside.
All you need do is wait.
Weight bound to fall.
Nowhere near strong as a weld.
Your misfortune has been foretold.
Standing on the shoulders defiant.
No gravitas for gravity.
The levity. The nerve.
The purpose you served.
Curves that undulate.
This collected collective intact.
Compact and abstracted.
Formed from without.
Withstand from within.
In a cloud of dust.
Patina and rust.
The clinging and clanging.
Theatrically singing what a lovely mess I make.
The forms I take.
But make a mistake and it all comes tumbling down.
From cast away to on display.
Here today. Gone today.

3 comments:

  1. Great progress! The addition of the suit is like putting a frame on a painting or a sculpture on a pedestal, it sets off the whole thing, the performance as the artwork not just a video about how a form was constructed. Did you intend to suggest, then, that the deconstruction and cleaning up is not to be considered in the same light because you took off coat, tie and vest?

    The suit also suggests professionalism and respect for the humble materials, the people and jobs represented by the spikes.

    I don't think the mirrors are positioned well to show enough of either you (emphasizing the performance, again) or the form you are creating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billie Jean is my number one "Do Work" song in the studio!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem is the first one up on the wall for PCP - it looks so beautiful, and it reads that way too!

    ReplyDelete